Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Maple 7

It's funny how it's only been a week, but it feels like months that I've been here. Everything is going so fast, which is good I suppose. The sooner we make it through CTI the sooner we'll be out on our first spike. No idea where we'll be going or what we'll be doing yet, but I'm definitely excited to get out there.

Yesterday we had van driver training, and part of that was learning how to change a tire. With my track record in car problems, I'm kind of surprised I've never had to do this before. It was actually really cool because one of the guys on my team knows a lot about this stuff, so he kind of took charge. But we still all got a chance to step forward and have a hand in the activity. Which is cool, because I think it's important to have a team that's willing to work together.

Maple 7! That's what's up. My team is pretty awesome, I like everyone.

That picture is so ridiculous, but those are my awesome blue coveralls! They were actually my team leaders last year - pretty random, but still kind of cool.

Today we "explored the community". Also known as driving five minutes to town and parking at the library before walking around and checking some of the places out. The library is pretty cool. It's very small and they don't have that much stuff but I'll definitely be utilizing it. Then we checked out the coffee shop. It was so cute! I love independent coffee places, but their hours are terrible. 7-2 Monday-Friday. And only open till noon on Saturday? I'll never really get another chance to go there.


Vinton is so tiny, it takes no time at all to just walk around. Which can be nice, I guess; but there really isn't that much here. I'm not used to such a small town.

Oh! We took our first road trip Monday as well, to Iowa City for our ropes course (that actually didn't involve any ropes). I really enjoyed it. Learned a bit about myself, as well as my team. So that was a fun little adventure.

Van driver road test is on Friday. Just a smidge nervous for that portion. Not sure what driving a 15-passenger van is going to be like. ISP (Independent Service Projects) training is on Saturday, and a few of us on my team are wanting to get started straight away, so hopefully we can line something up for Sunday. Everything moves pretty fast here.

I realize there's no organization to this update. My mind is a jumbled mess, and I can't really focus right now so I think I'm just going to leave it at that. Positive note, right?

Okay maybe one more picture.

It snowed the other day. I kept trying to start a snowball fight. With no luck. :p

I think I took this looking out one of the main doors of Rice Hall, which is the dorm I'm living in. Or sleeping in. I think I spend more time in Palmer, because the only wifi is over here.

Through the underground tunnels.

Oh! Almost forgot. PT starts Monday morning at 5:30. Super excited for that!

Please note sarcasm. Hah.

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand – and melting like a snowflake." - Marie B. Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment