Thursday, February 9, 2012

Iowa, finally!


It's day two in Iowa! I still can't believe I'm finally here. It's been a long process, but I know it's going to be worth it. :)

Dorm living is different. I don't mind it for the most part, though I'm not a fan of the bathroom situation. I guess I'll get used to it. I only have one roommate, so that's good. No internet in our dorm though. :( Such a bummer, but it's just a short walk through a couple underground tunnels to get to the other dorm where there is wifi, so I guess I'll be spending a lot of time over here.

And yes, there are tunnels. It's actually pretty cool. They run between all the buildings here. Who needs to go outside, anyway? Especially when it's freezing.

Not much has been going on so far. Lots of meetings going over rules and regulations. We were also issued our uniforms. Obviously some very stylish threads - you'd be jealous of my rain gear and jumpsuit.

Haven't had a chance to really take many pictures. I will though. There's a shuttle into Cedar Rapids this weekend, I haven't decided if I want to go or just hang around Vinton and explore here. I really want to check out the $2 theatre, so I may just do that.

Everyone seems pretty nice so far. All the Team Leader's and staff are super awesome and seem to really enjoy this campus and what they do, so that's exciting. I can't wait to find out my team for the year this Sunday. And then where our first spike will be, though I know it's going to be several more weeks before that. For now I'll settle with just knowing my team.

I'm also debating trying out for the Wildland Fire Team. I originally thought that I was going to, but now after hearing about it I'm not so sure. I just don't really feel like I'm up to par. And I really don't want to throw my back out or anything. Still debating that.

But I can't wait to actually start making a difference.  March 8th is our induction, I believe. And then I'm assuming our spikes start right after that. Just have to make it through this first month of training. It's going to be tough, but so worth it.


"And now...let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - Dumbledore

No comments:

Post a Comment